This is Part 2 of a two-part article which describes some strange and funny things that dogs will do at home that may amuse you.
Let me restate the opening paragraphs of the Part 1 article:
Anyone who has had the pleasure of having a dog in their house must wonder at some of the antics they see every day. I’m giving my age away when I mention that Art Linkletter used to say “Kids say the darndest things”. Well, dogs do the darndest things also.
Just think about it – when you are watching TV and see a dog being hugged by someone or if they do something funny or even goofy, who can’t help but smile. Think of the reaction of most patients to a therapy dog in a hospital. You can’t help but being emotional.
So here are a few things that dogs do that will either annoy or amuse you. I hope you enjoy them. By the way, the quotes are around what your dog might be thinking.
- Is your dog stubborn to the point of driving you crazy? We had a Basset Hound named Mortie who somehow jumped up on the bed, which was quite a feat with his short legs. However, once in the bed he claimed the pillow as his own and wouldn’t budge. You could almost hear him saying “It’s mine, mine do you hear me, mine!” After a number of dirty looks from Mortie, it took my wife and I together to get him off the bed with almost a whole hot dog used as a bribe. Who says hounds aren’t smart!
- Speaking of beds, if you let your dog sleep with you he will almost certainly grab a spot for himself, generally in the middle, and push you over to the edge. And you lay there mumbling to yourself and take it!
- Dogs don’t know their size. Whether a Terrier or a Great Dane, they will want to lay on your lap when you’re watching TV or, worse yet, decide to sprawl out on the couch when it’s empty. “You really have a comfortable couch here. Aren’t the chairs for you?”
- “Where did that hamburger go?” you might ask yourself. If you left it at the edge of your table within doggy reach then it’s gone.
- If you want that book that’s on the table to stay dry, don’t ever put a glass of liquid down near it if you have a dog with an active tail to wag. Sometimes dogs don’t know their own strength.
- How often have you had to leave a party or someone’s house early to get home to put the dog out? Dogs somehow know when it’s their normal time to pee before bedtime, and being a few minutes late could mean a real disaster.
- Is your dog one who likes to play in mud puddles and then come inside and shake himself dry? What fun!
- Many dogs will choose a favorite person in the family to attach himself to as a companion. But that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t love the rest of the family. In my case, our dog Peanut, who is a Morkie (part Yorkshire Terrier and Maltese), has chosen my wife as his best friend and will follow her anywhere in the house, which can be a real annoyance, especially if you leave the bathroom door ajar. Just be sure not to step on him.
- Dogs don’t know what vacuum cleaners are, they just know they don’t like them. They will either bark to scare it away or run away and hide themselves. Some dogs will just lay there and you can almost hear him saying “Go ahead and try to get by me, I dare you!”
- And, last but not least, is bringing home a present for Mom. Don’t you just love it when your dog comes to the back door and drops the ‘gift’ at your feet? Now you are the owner of a small animal or bird. And your dog just sits there wagging his tail, looking so proud and saying “Look what I’ve brought you, Mom. I love you!”
I hope you have enjoyed these anecdotes. If you have any dog behaviors that I haven’t mentioned, please let me know. You can email me with your suggestions at: email@example.com I would love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe